Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Introduction

I have begun studying PhP programming many times. My first attempt ended because PhP is a server side program, which means one needs to upload the code to a server in order to visualize it in a browser. My server at the time was way to slow to use for testing. So, I decided to install Apache on my linux box.  I have installed and uninstalled Apache many times, even on Windows XP.  But it eventually worked and I was even able to display some PhP, something akin to calling the operator for date and time.


date_default_timezone_set('Europe/Amsterdam');
echo '
Today is ',date('l'),', The current time is ',date('H

:i ') ;
'.
' ;
?>

Which produces: Today is Tuesday, The current time is 15:21

A lot of the references about php are associated with the  mysql database. PhPmyAdmin is the most common, and involves a lot of security features which I found very annoying because I did not understand them. But this all had to do with the database and not php.

Anyway, I plan to pursue my php learning a bit more vigorously since I just returned from the Dutch PhP Conference last weekend. I put my observations and notes in a separate entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment